1906 Local History Book Updated 01/03/2016
1906 Wallace Hills,
editor of The East Grinstead Observer, published the first detailed History of East
Grinstead. His book covered the town as well as some of the
surrounding areas such as Forest Row, Ashurst Wood and Felbridge along with the
local people and organisations of the time. He wanted to produce a second
edition and commissioned local photographs from Arthur Harding but
unfortunately the illustrated second edition was never published.
the original book now over a century old, a faithful reprint of the text is
being published including all 133 illustrations that Wallace selected to
produce the Hills Illustrated History of East Grinstead that he never
managed to publish. This hardback book has over 450 pages and a comprehensive
index providing the combination of the valuable original text as well as the
photographs and illustrations from over a century ago in print for the very
book will be on sale at the end of March at £30, but pre-orders received before
mid-March are at the special price of £26 (pay only when you receive the book).
Please call Jeremy Clarke on 01342 715830 or email email@example.com to
pre-order a copy.