Superfast Broadband Survey: Summary
In terms of the current service:
• Some parishes have mixed access
• The majority have very slow download and upload speeds causing problems for businesses run from home.
• Slower speeds at peak times of the day, i.e. after school and in the evenings affecting school homework
• Infrastructure is old and not meeting demand in most areas,.
The benefits of faster broadband are seen as:
• Enable more efficient working at home/running small businesses.
• More online shopping
• Less carbon footprint
• Opportunity to become more computer literate
• Faster download of documents
• Video conferencing
• Cloud services
In terms of take up the results are very encouraging. Nearly all parishes said they thought take up would be very high and most said residents and businesses might be prepared to pay more for a faster service. .
You can read the latest Surrey County Council Cabinet report here. This explains where we are in the process and the Cabinet approved the start of the formal procurement process. You can also visit the superfast broadband webpage which gives much more information together with answers to frequently asked questions
Surrey Superfast Broadband Project Team